Have you recently gone through the process of buying new jeans? It’s really stressful! There are so many options now – straight leg, mum jeans, ripped, flared, dark wash, acid wash, high waisted, frayed and embroidered. There are more, but I really don’t think I have the time to list them!
I must admit, I am the first to say that I wasn’t exactly thrilled to see the return of mum jeans from the 90s. More so because of the taunting shopping experience. I really struggled to find jeans that executed the high waist, tightness/bagginess ratio, length, number of rips, wash, and denim-y feel. But I think I found them!
Actually, I think I died and went to denim heaven. Please enter GRLFRND jeans. The brand that was inspired by the hunt for the perfect vintage pair of jeans. I really value a brand that actually pays attention to not only the quality and construction of their garments, but the right fit for women. Great tailoring gets me every time.
Another adorning fact about these jeans is that they are made of 100% cotton so exhibit the perfect amount of structure, whilst moulding to your body with each wear. This was the first time I wore them, so still have some room to mould!
I’m also totally feeling the ripped/frayed look again. It’s such an easy way to add an element of interest to your outfit without trying. I feel as if all my other jeans that don’t have rips are just downright boring now. But do be pre-warned….you will get unwaranted comments from family members. You know, “I could have saved you the money and ripped them for you” or “did you get stuck in a fence?” Sigh
Jeans along with other classic pieces never tire in my wardrobe. And that’s why I always make a conceited effort to research these pieces to ensure I find the perfect fit, make and style. These classic items should last a few years, so be sure to love them!
When looking for the perfect pair of jeans, opt for styles that you know suit you and you’ll feel comfortable in. There’s nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in what you’re wearing.
I’ve comprised a few tips below to make it easier when shopping:
- Understand the different cuts and stick to styles that suit you best; e.g. high waisted vs mid-rise vs low rise, straight cut vs skinny leg, boyfriend vs mum jeans. I find the best way to decide is to go by the length of your torso versus the length of your legs.
- Check the composition of the material; the percentage of stretch will alter how they fit and look. In contrast, 100% cotton jeans will feel more rigid and stiff.
- When shopping online – read the reviews! Revolve is a great website that includes thousands of reviews.
- Opt for jeans that suit your lifestyle. Ripped jeans might not always be favourable when attending work functions, e.g. Neat casual isn’t always indicative of the situation.
- Try alternate denim brands – there are thousands of them out there. I’m sure you can find a brand that suits your needs.
- Try to understand the ethical stance your favourite denim brands take. The way in which jeans are made (by certain brands) can be very harmful to the environment.
- Have fun trying different styles and washes. You might be pleasantly surprised!
Good luck on your denim quest!
K – Leather & Soie
What I wearing: